Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Big Money for Shortcake?

by Adriann Fonstein - Consumer Strategist, Insights
I’ve been a fan of nostalgia marketing for as long as I can remember. Whenever I hear the trend might rise to the top, I spread the word to help make it happen. The other day, I read an article in my daily AdAge email called “Licensors Play to Consumer Nostalgia for Days Gone By.” It’s a long title, but in short, it talked about how licensing properties from years gone by have always been on the table, but no one has really picked them up. The author believes that this year properties like Strawberry Shortcake and a few of her 80’s pals stand a chance against today’s tween-powerhouse properties like Hannah Montana and the Disney Princesses. I optimistically agree with him for two reasons - both are linked to the recession. First, it’s a lot less expensive to license properties that already exist than to create new ones. Two, people need an escape from the scary reality that is today. Remembering cartoons from years that brought economic booms provides a little respite from the declining economy of today.



Will Nerf footballs and lunchboxes with coordinating thermoses be revived? Will this go at nostalgia marketing live beyond the end of these tough economic times? If you don’t think so, hurry up and get your tickets to the new Gidget movie threatening its debut in 2010. I’ll go with you if you’re too embarrassed to ask someone else.

http://adage.com/article?article_id=137063

1 comment:

  1. I hope nostalgic items are coming back! Not only is it great to see the characters you remeber from your own childhood again - but its also great to share them with your kids who view them as something 'new.'

    ReplyDelete