Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Am I a Greedy Consumer?

By Whitney Hardy, VP, Account Management

Retailers have very effectively trained me when and how to shop and I sometimes wonder whether I will I ever pay full-price again.

I live very close to the Natick Collection and go there often. I shop like I’m a woman on a mission – when I’m at the mall, I know when to go and where to go to get the best deals and savings . You’ve seen it and probably have been trained, too – every store has their discount on display in their window and their e-marketing teams are working overtime. When I logged into my Yahoo account yesterday, I counted 20+ emails from retailers begging for my business that day. Subject lines included: “30% off all Outerwear ,” “Take 20% off a single item – 1 Day Only!,” and “Whitney, Only two Days Left! 20% OFF Ends Tomorrow!”

By keeping an eagle-eye on my email box, scouring sale racks, and faithfully perusing off-price department stores, I walk away with clothes and labels that I’ve spotted on celebrities in some of my favorite magazines. I honestly don’t remember the last time that I bought something full-price. I know that my expectation for buying quality goods at discounted prices has been a gradual development – the economy (of course), greater financial responsibility with a growing family, and maturity were probably all nails in the full-price retail coffin in my life.

I wonder if this will ever change. Will there be a day that I comfortably and confidently walk out of the mall with a big, glossy, luxury department store shopping bag full of full-price stuff? Is that ten years down the road? Twenty years? Ever?

For a believer in the power of building a strong, aspirational brand, I struggle with what retailers and brands will need to do to stop the cycle and train us to be full-price shoppers again? How will they deliver value that is as meaningful to consumers as “dollars off”? Convenience? Service? Quality? But what if we’ve been trained to expect it all?

No comments:

Post a Comment