Wednesday, May 6, 2009

New Mommy Gold Mines

by Adriann Fonstein, Consumer Strategist



I’m a new mom who was stuck in her house all winter long. During maternity leave, I would have done anything to get out of the house for a reason other than grocery shopping or the bi-weekly Babies ‘R’ Us run. What I didn’t realize was that my boredom and lack of activities on the few snowless days this winter wasn’t for lack of options. I was surprised to learn that minutes from my house there were programs to keep me and my new baby healthy, smart, and entertained. As a marketer I thought, “gold mine…”

First up is Gymboree. This children’s clothing retailer has a program called Play and Music that a friend told me about. The classes seek to develop and entertain children. They tease you with a free class and only tell you after a call to the store that it’s $89 per month to be a member. Membership, however, entitles you to discounts, free classes, events and more. It’s actually a membership that looks like it could be worth what it costs… but then again, I’ll pay anything for my baby.

Next is Isis Maternity. This is a Massachusetts retailer who sells top-of-the-line baby everything – from pacifiers to cribs. They offer classes like mom and baby yoga, “Caterpillars” – a course where “babes of arms” learn to roll, sit and play, and drop-in play groups. These cost half of what Gymboree’s classes do. In fact, drop-in play group is only $5.

In the future, I might consider REI’s PEAK program. A presentation by an REI staffer includes games, activities and lessons, which teach kids environmental ethics. Participants also get an REI backpack stuffed with the essentials for outdoor adventures. Move over bowling alleys, this is perfect for birthday parties.

The way I see it moms – especially new moms – are an emotional group willing to do just about anything to make life easier, more enjoyable, and more enriching for their families. They’ll also go to any length for the wellness of their kids. With that in mind, it seems like a no-brainer for other kids’ brands – for instance Baby Gap or Children’s Place – to provide added value like some of their counterparts do. Talk value is key with this group of consumers. I was referred to the classes at Gymboree by a friend and I would refer them to a friend as well. The only way it could get better would be if the added value events were free! It may cost the brand on the front end, but the positive word of mouth marketing and loyalty of moms on the back end would pay the real dividends.

No comments:

Post a Comment