Friday, May 8, 2009

Puma City is Wicked Cool

By: Vince DiGirolamo, Associate Planner

Here at AMP Agency, we pride ourselves on creating brand experiences that become part of consumers' life experiences. From singing in showers to helping consumers "Bee-utify" their lives - our common goal in all of our work is to create a lasting connection between consumers and brands.

It is so engrained in our bloodstream that we can't help but notice when we, ourselves, are having a brand experience that becomes part of our lives. This happened to me the other day as I was walking through shipping containers and eating a burrito as fast as I possibly could.


Sorry, let me explain...

Recently, I witnessed an extensive print campaign promoting "Puma City" at Boston's Fan Pier. The campaign incorporated the Boston accent, giving it a hometown feel. For those who are unfamiliar with what Puma City is - it is an 11,000 square-foot mobile retail and event structure made from twenty-four, forty-foot-long steel shipping containers. The massive mobile store, featuring a full-bar and dance floor, took two weeks, two cranes, one forklift, one scissor lift, twenty workers, and six-thousand man hours to build. It will call Boston home for three weeks (April 25th-May 16th).


I was planning to visit Puma City before it left town, but a sense of urgency kicked in when I found out that on Cinco de Mayo, Puma would be partnering with Qdoba Mexican Grill to present Burrito de Mayo. What exactly is Burrito de Mayo you ask? Great question. It's a burrito eating relay race, in which teams of four line up to eat burritos as fast as they possibly can. I mean seriously, what better way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo than by participating in something dubbed "Burrito de Mayo?" I won't get into the details (you're welcome), but it was truly something to be a part of.

From Burrito de Mayo, to Bike Weekend, to a Fun Run, to various DJs spinning on-site, Puma City has special events planned for the entire three-week duration. They have combined just the right amount of fashion, music, nightlife, and exclusivity to create a temporary escape for consumers. On this Cinco de Mayo, I said "adios" to the same hangouts I've become accustomed to and headed to Puma City.

I am happy to say that Puma City was all that I expected and more. The structure itself is incredibly cool - I also got a free burrito, free t-shirt, and I left with a new pair of sneakers (one of my new obsessions). As for the burrito contest - unfortunately my team did not go home with the winning trophy, but we did go home with an experience we will remember for the rest of our lives (and be reminded of every time we see a burrito).

As a brand, Puma strives to fuse the creative influences from the world of sport, lifestyle, and fashion into everything they do. Puma City is the perfect concoction of each of these elements - with a little bit of uniqueness sprinkled on top. While a burrito doesn't necessarily fit with Puma's brand identity, they made it work. All-in-all, Puma created an opportunity for consumers to interact with their brand through an experience that is truly one of its kind. Well done Puma.



No comments:

Post a Comment