Monday, April 27, 2009

A Twitter Tutorial – Part 1: We dare you to follow

by Allyson Moehring, Integrated Strategist

aplusk @Oprah well done you’ve made it

DunkinDonuts Wait a sec -- sounds like you did... RT @RK0407: i will never cheat on you @dunkindonuts with subpar coffee. i feel so dirty

Oprah @THE_REAL_SHAQ thanks for being my twitter buddy. this is cool.

iamdiddy Rev Run is my hero!

Whether you heard about it at the water cooler, in Us Weekly, murmurs from friends, or on CNN or Oprah, it is hard to avoid Twitter in the news right now. However, despite the buzz and its rise in popularity, the overwhelming response I still hear in my social circle is: Who cares? Why would I want to be on Twitter? Why do I care about Ashton reaching 1million followers, Oprah joining , or what Shaq had for lunch, and why would I want to share with a bunch of people I don’t know that I just grabbed a coffee?

For anyone rolling their eyes at this social media tool, probably in the same way that you did with Facebook before you became addicted, I dare you to start by opening up a Twitter account and following some of the main players or any of your favorite personalities and see if you become intrigued, maybe even hooked. Questlove is there. (@questlove). Serena Williams just did a 2 hour non-stop “ReTweet” Twitter session to talk to all her fans on Twitter (@serenajwilliams). Shaq and Diddy are addicts (@THE_REAL_SHAQ, @iamdiddy). Follow NY Times’s latest headlines and editorials (@NYTimes) and CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk). And no Twitter experience would be complete without following the crowned prince himself, Ashton Kutcher (@aplusk).

The beauty? Unlike Facebook, you won’t even feel compelled to contribute to get started – set up an account, find people to follow and watch the Tweets come in.

Stay tuned the rest of the week to learn more about the rise of Twitter, its relevance in the larger media landscape, its use as an information aggregator and social media tool, understand how brands and celebrities are leveraging Twitter, how it has created media firestorms and forced brands to monitor their reputation in the space, and the AMP Integrated PR team’s position and predictions on the effectiveness and future of Twitter.

allyM Tweeting off. Until tomorrow…

1 comment:

  1. I have a Twitter account, but I am still the one rolling their eyes at this so called "phenomenon." I struggle between whether it is cool to know the details of Shaq's latest trip to the barbershop, or just completely pointless.

    I think it will be interesting to see what happens with it. Personally, I think it's here to stay and I expect to see it continue to grow and evolve. While I have no interest in Ashton Kutcher's personal life (and don't see that changing anytime soon), I do expect, reluctantly, that I am going to start using Twitter more often. I almost feel as though I don't really have a choice.

    One thing is for sure, without Twitter, I would not be able to say that Diddy pulled an April Fool's Joke on me. So for that, I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete