Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Excessibility

by Adriann Fonstein, Consumer Strategist, Insights

Some people think I’m crazy, but I like to make up words. I think I’ve said that before, but I’ll fearlessly say it again as I introduce my latest epiphany – “excessibility.” I define it as ‘excess available to the masses;’ accessible excess. It’s a concept many high-end designer-low-end-retailer pairs have sold consumers on. Put a low-end cashmere scarf donning Isaac Mizrahi’s name in Targét, where before cashmere had never seen the light of day, and you have some new excess or luxuriousness consumers are privy to. It’s cheap, low-quality luxuriousness, yes, but I want the real Mizrahi for $30. I want some of the high-fashion experience.

H&M to the rescue!! The fast-fashion retailer and Parisian high-fashion designer Sonia Rykiel are launching a new line available in December at both H&M stores and Sonia Rykiel boutiques. Finally, consumers can get a real, high-fashion piece – or at least one worthy of being sold at Rykiel’s stores. The lingerie and knitwear collections are said to be inspired by what walked the runway in Rykiel’s 40th Anniversary show last October (above).

So on December 5th, tell your man about this accessible, yet excessive lingerie. The recession-friendly line arrives just in time to for him to do some last minute holiday shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment